Best Jogging Stroller Review & Buying Guide
Are you a new parent looking to get back in shape? Don't let having small children get in the way of your goals--make them part of your exercise! If you're interested in jogging with your new little workout buddy, you're going to need a best jogging stroller. With the thousands of options available on the Internet, online shopping can be scary and overwhelming. Save yourself some time, because we did the research so you wouldn't have to!
A good jogging stroller should be durable, lightweight, and, most importantly, safe. It's important to keep in mind that a regular stroller isn't safe to jog with, so by buying a jogging stroller, you're investing in your child's health as well as your own. Jogging strollers have large air-filled tires, suspension systems with shock-absorbers, a locking, straight-running front wheel, a reclined seat angle and long distance between the wheels.
- 1 What is the Best Jogging Stroller
- 1.1 Things to Consider When Buying The Best Jogging Stroller
- 1.2 1. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
- 1.3 2. BOB Revolution SE Single Stroller
- 1.4 3. BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller
- 1.5 4. Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Travel System
- 1.6 5. Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller
- 1.7 6. Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
- 1.8 Proper Running Form with a Baby Jogger
- 1.9 Safety Tips for Using The Best Jogging Stroller
What is the Best Jogging Stroller
A jogging stroller is a specially designed stroller for jogging with your child. It's more expensive than a regular stroller, but that's because it can do more than a regular stroller. If you were to going running with your child in a regular stroller, it would first and foremost be unsafe for your child. Regular strollers aren't designed for high speed impact with rocks or divots in the pavement. Your child would be bouncing all around and jerked in every direction. A jogging stroller provides a smooth ride for your child and a little extra challenge for you on your run. Stability, size and weight are all things to keep in mind while you're looking for the right jogging stroller.
Things to Consider When Buying The Best Jogging Stroller
Because jogging strollers are such a large investment, here are several things to keep in mind before you make your purchase.
Your child's safety is the main concern no matter what. As you've probably guessed already, you can't take a newborn baby out on a run. Before buying a jogging stroller be sure to consult with your pediatrician to confirm that your child has the sufficient amount of neck and core muscles to ride safely in the stroller.
- Pediatrician's approval
- Able to sit up/hold head up
The weight of the stroller is very important seeing as you will be pushing it for the duration of your run. Make sure to factor in the weight of your child in addition to the weight of the stroller. Best Jogging strollers are meant to be light weight and svelte. That being said, some strollers are going to be more lightweight than others.
- The average weight of a jogging stroller is 20 lbs
- If you're worried about strength, try lifting weights to build muscle before buying the stroller
- Think about the area you'll be running in: Is it hilly?
Just as the weight is monumental in your decision process, the height of the stroller can make or break the deal. Depending on your own height, this may or may not be an issue for you. If you're a man of an average height or a woman of above average height, the handle height on the stroller probably won't ever pose a threat to you. Even if you're a woman of an average height, it's still important to double check before your purchase, and if you consider yourself short, you definitely need to check out the handle height. There will probably be some wiggle room with adjustments, but if the handle height is just out of your reach, you need to find a different stroller.
- Tires are bigger than a regular stroller's, so the handles will be higher
- Sample strollers in stores to get a feel for your right height
- Look for jogging strollers with adjustable handle heights
Type of run
The type of running that you're interested in is also something to majorly consider before buying the best jogging stroller. If you're planning to run on trails or any other kind of uneven surface, you should know that that kind of environment isn't really conducive to jogging with a stroller. Jogging strollers are best on paved or smooth surfaces. Other than being difficult to push, running with a stroller on gravel or grass is dangerous for your passenger. While the stroller is designed to reduce shock, it won't fair well on rough or spongy surfaces.
- Avoid rocks, potholes and uneven pavement
- If it's difficult to run on, the stroller will have a difficult time too
- Your child can feel the surface your on; don't forget that!
Just like regular strollers, best jogging stroller can fold into the trunk of your car. However, unless you have unlimited trunk space, the transportability of the stroller is significant in your choosing. If you're the kind of runner who stays in the immediate area for your runs, then portability may not be a major factor for you. Otherwise, you should check what other customers have said about transporting the stroller. Even if you don't plan to drive it anywhere, it's still good to check just in case.
- Strollers can still be pretty big, even when folded
- If you're unsure, measure the dimensions of your trunk
- Consider the weight of the stroller as well because you will have to lift it in and out of the car
Like any other kind of purchase, you should assess your need for a jogging stroller before buying it. If you hate running, a jogging stroller probably isn't for you. You should also consider your child and his or her feelings toward strollers in general. If you're a marathon runner training for your next race, you should think about your child's ability to stay in a stroller for a long period of time. This applies to long runners in general. If you're unsure as to whether or not jogging is a realistic part of your work regiment, you might want to try it on your own for a while before making your decision. Running alone is hard enough as it is; don't forget the extra weight you'll be pushing!
- Be honest with yourself
- Evaluate your commitment
- Think about your child
Last but certainly not least, you need to be prepared for the cost of a jogging stroller. As previously stated, best jogging strollers are quite a bit more expensive than regular strollers. If you're unsure as to whether or not you'll actually use the stroller, it's probably better to hold off on the purchase.
- Take your time making the decision
- Remember that you get what you pay for
- If you don't need it, don't buy it!
Our Picks - Top Six Best Jogging Stroller
1. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
This stroller is versatile and adaptive with a sturdy frame and innovative features. The tires are large for maximum control and the swivel front wheel makes steering easier. While the stroller itself is 29 pounds, it can hold up to 50 pounds.
- It has large and easy rolling all-terrain air filled bicycle tires
- It has the swivel wheel, but it can also lock when you are jogging or rolling in the sand.
- The seat reclines with a five-point harness system that allows the child to sit comfortably
- Rear parking brake and one hand fold
- Tire release quickly and easily for a more compact fold, ideal for travel.
2. BOB Revolution SE Single Stroller
Use for everyday activities and high speed adventures. The BOB Revolution is lightweight and easy fold mechanism. It is designed to be comfortable for you and your child. This best jogging stroller is versatile in use and is accompanied with adjustable settings for the best fit.
- Locking front wheel
- Lightweight and compact frame
- Adjustable suspension system
- Reclining seat
- Back seat pocket
- Multi position canopy with viewing window
- Hanging basket
- Durable fabric
- 5 Point padded harness
- Rear wheel brake system
3. BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller
This all-terrain best jogging stroller is state of the art. Run on-road and off-road. The suspension system is built to endure bumps and other debris. It can carry up to 75 pounds. Fold to transport and adjust the seat with one hand.
- Swivel lock front wheel
- Extra large cargo basket
- Adjustable padded handlebar
- Adjustable suspension system
- High impact polymer wheels
- Large canopy and rear brake
4. Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Travel System
Crossover stroller that combines the comfort and convenience of a traditional Graco stroller with the capabilities of a high functioning jogger. Stroller folds at the pull of a strap; so easy it can be done with one hand! Lightweight and portable for on-the-go. It can be used on all different terrains. Travel with everything you need with the storage basket, parent tray with storage, and child tray.
- Automatic storage lock.
- One hand fold & Multiple recline positions.
- Stroller accepts all Graco Click Connect infant car seats with a secure one-step attachment.
- Front wheel lock & extra large canopy.
- Lockable pivot front wheel.
- 2 step breaks & kickstand.
- Holds up to 50 pounds
5. Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller
This stroller is lightweight and compact. It is designed especially for use in urban areas.This stroller weighs only 17.6 pounds for maximum mobility. It can hold up to 50 pounds and it possesses multiple recline positions. Easy to assemble by popping on the canopy and the wheels.
- Swivel lock front wheel
- Quick fold technology
- Multi recline seat.
- front wheel suspension
6. Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
This best jogging stroller is designed for easy use as well as comfort. The carseat adaptor allows for use with several carseat brands. Listen to music with its canopy mounted speakers. Wide tires are designed for multi-terrain usage. Its lightweight aluminum frame makes it easy to handle and lightweight in transport.
- Molded parent tray with two cup holders adds convenience
- Rubberized, adjustable handle with slip resistant
- Pivoting, molded child tray
- Built-in MP3 speakers
- Exposed spring suspension
- 12 inch front swivel wheel
- 16 inch rear wheels
Proper Running Form with a Baby Jogger
Safety Tips for Using The Best Jogging Stroller
- If the jogger has a wrist strap, use it when you’re going down hills. Avoid hills all together if possible.
- Lock the back wheels if you have let go of the strollers. Think of it like a parking break on a car.
- Plan your route carefully. If the terrain is difficult for you, it will be twice as difficult with a stroller. Making sure that you’re route is compatible with the stroller is important for you and your child. Even if you think you can safely maneuver the stroller over the terrain, think about the way the ground is going to feel for your child in the stroller.
- Be cautious of the weather. If it’s too hot, too cold, too windy or any other extreme weather condition, it’s not going to be a fun trip for you or your passenger.
- Check the stroller before you leave to make sure that everything is working properly. Even if it was fine on your last run, double check before your next. If you feel or hear anything break during your run, stop immediately.
- If the stroller has a swivel front wheel (most of them do), be sure to lock the wheel before beginning your workout. Locking the wheel will make the stroller more stable on your run and prevent any potential tipping. Make sure your child is securely fastened at all times. Don’t use headphones if you are listening to music. You need to be able to hear your child.
- Bundle with clothes, not blankets. No matter how tight you wrap the blanket, it can still come undone and cause unnecessary problems. If you’re running on the road, make sure you stay in neighborhoods or non-busy streets.
- Never take your hands off of the stroller while you’re in motion. You can run using one hand, but never go hands-free.
The Bottom Line
Investing in a jogging stroller is a great way to spend quality time with your child and simultaneously get some exercise. Before you buy your stroller, you should do some research so you know what you're purchasing. Our recommended six jogging stroller are six of the best jogging stroller available on the market today. These brand name products are user-friendly and highly adaptive. In order to determine which stroller is right for you, you should take your own needs and expectations into consideration. Some other things to consider are your intended use and price range. Remember that you get what you pay for, so the lower the price, the lower the quality. We checked out customer reviews and review sites on websites such as Amazon, Baby Gear Lab, Runners World, Consumer Reports and Thoroughly Reviewed.